Previous Home Next

James Matten Early Cabin

Fincastle 159

Fincastle 159

James Matten Early Cabin, on the corner of Murray and Water streets, houses Historical Fincastle, Inc.'s museum and office. It was built between 1796 and 1798 by the town's tailor, originally of rough-hewn logs. These were enclosed later within a more traditional frame structure. The cabin was given to Historical Fincastle, Inc. by A. R. Bolton Sr. and restored to its 18th-century appearance in 1987 with the help of a grant from the Virginia Historic Landmarks Association. The interior was completely furnished with antiques from Botetourt County.


Last update 10/29/2012


All © proofs, pictures & negatives are the exclusive property of
Lynda Troutt Murphy & Murphy’s, Inc.

The right of reproduction is in accordance with all U.S. Copyright Laws.


Contact Murphy's, Inc.


Solution Graphics