The Western Hotel Complex, known today as Courthouse Square, was built as early
as 1809. It was from the stable of the Western Hotel that the devastating fire
of 1870 erupted. The complex once held law offices, private dwellings, a
ballroom and a saloon was restored in 1972, It now houses the Botetourt County
Historical Museum, the Old District Court and other county offices.