Previous Home Next

The Fincastle United Methodist Church

"The congregation of the Fincastle United Methodist Church was organized in 1790 by Francis Asbury, ""the prophet of the long road"", who was also responsible for drawing the plans for the first Fincastle Methodist Church in 1802. The original building was erected shortly after the land was purchased from Patrick Lockhart and his wife for 12 pounds on July 12, 1803. The original building was eventually condemned, torn down with the aid of oxen teams, and replaced by the present structure in 1840 following a great revival conducted by William Craft. Several features of the church building remind us daily of our heritage. The balcony gallery was built for slaves and servants and was entered by a separate door. The church pews are divided in the center, reminiscent of a time when men and women were prohibited from sitting side by side to avoid distractions. The four chairs behind the pulpit were crafted in Fincastle by David Spangler, and the two black chairs were kept on each side of the ""Amen Corner"" (to the right of the minister) and were used by the oldest couple in the church. The bell in the belfry, still in use, was cast by the Hadley Company in 1811. The original chandelier was broken when the church ceiling fell in 1941, and was replaced in 1973 by the present chandelier obtained from a small Methodist Church near Blacksburg, VA. The bracket light at the back of the church is original, and the side lights were copied from the original and installed in 1974. "

Fincastle 006

Fincastle 006.jpg


Last update 10/29/2012


All © proofs, pictures & negatives are the exclusive property of
Lynda Troutt Murphy & Murphy’s, Inc.

The right of reproduction is in accordance with all U.S. Copyright Laws.


Contact Murphy's, Inc.


Solution Graphics